Tuesday, September 28, 2010

うち帰ろか?Neighborhood HIRAKATA

If you are somewhere in your early 20's, and you tell a person from Osaka that you are living in Hirakata City, the first reaction that you will most likely get is 「あ、外大生?("Oh, are you a Gaidai student?")」-Hirakata City, or Hirakata-shi (枚方市), as we would call it, is famous for it's local foreign language university, Kansai Gaidai. This city of less than 410,000 people, located right in between Kyoto and Nara, has been my home for nearly a year.

Having been raised in Kobe for almost my entire life, I consider myself a 神戸っ子 ("Kobe-kko"), or a "Kobe-person". Whenever I am asked where I am from (the tanned skin and my rather exotic choice of outfit seem to confuse many people whether I am from Japan or some other tropical country), I subconsciously try to distinguish myself from people in Osaka, despite my strong Kansai dialect. "My hometown is Kobe," I would say,"Shittou?" (「知っとう?」Kobe dialect for "Do you know?"). Most of the time they will say that they've heard of the city but never been, and I usually end the conversation by saying how beautiful it is there, and that they must pay a visit sometime. For this blog, I was tempted to write about my beloved hometown, but instead chose Hirakata-shi, my second home that is yet to be explored.



So far I have found out that my house in Hirakata-shi is in a highly residential area, and therefore is extremely quiet - both day and night. In the morning, I see some people starting their day by watering their plants in front of their doorsteps, having a walk in the park, or perhaps taking out their garbage bag to the designated bumping spot. Even in the evening, the area feels almost empty, and I am barely reminded of the neighbors' livelihood when I walk past a house during dinner time and smell their dishes.


From where I am living, it is hard to imagine that this relatively small city actually has quite a vibrant nightlife of its own.When I head towards the local Hirakata-shi station, a brief 15 minutes bike-ride from my house, I see many restaurants and 居酒屋 ("izakaya"), Japanese bars that serve anything from alcohol drinks to deserts. At this time of the year, you might see a crowd of サラリーマ("salary-man", white collar male workers) enjoying their drinks at a 立ち飲み屋 ("tachi-nomiya"), where they would literally stand (立ち) and drink (飲む) after a long day of work.

It is also not rare to see a 屋台("yatai"), a van that serves different kinds of food and drinks, parking just around the corner. The stereotype that I once had of おっちゃん("Occhan" middle-aged men) talking to the yatai owner with a cup of sake in his hand was completely destroyed, when I saw young female students in the seats, enjoying their meal.


In a nutshell, Hirakata-shi seems to have a good mixture of peace and excitement. What more can you ask after a pleasant evening at the 市駅 ("shi-eki" a local way of saying 枚方市駅) : a warm, cosy futon that awaits for you, in the peaceful, silent neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. This is a nice description of Hirakata-shi - you provide some observations that many international students might not be able to do. I find it interesting that you chose to focus on Hirakata-shi rather than your home town. So in a way you are challenging yourself into exploring Hirakata in way that you have not done before. I am glad you are encountering some surprises along the way.

    Where specifically in Hirakata-shi is your neighborhood? I would like to read more specifically about the area where you are living rather than a broad overview of the city. Still, your post is interesting and you have some nice photos here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: visual gonthros

    Commento doumo arigatou gozaimasu.
    I am living in one of the Gaidai Seminar Houses, so relatively close to Hirakata-shi Station, but I feel that I may have generalized the area too much by referring to my part of the neighborhood as "Hirakata City" as a whole. I realized that this city is much bigger than I thought, when I was looking at the map the other day! Shitsurei shimashita....

    ReplyDelete