Thursday, September 16, 2010

縁起の文化 The Culture of "EN"

こんにちは!The title of this blog, 合縁奇縁 ("ai-en-ki-en") is one of many Japanese four-character idiom, known as 四字熟語 ("yoji-jyukugo"). This idiom means that the encounter that we have in life - be it good or bad - is due to the power of 因縁("in-nen"), generally translated to fate or destiny. In Japan, it is believed that this force is what draws two people together. As a Japanese, I would like to believe that those who stumbled into my blog share some kind of "en" - or destiny - with me. I will be happy if my blog postings can help you get a better understanding
of the Japanese culture.

In Japan, we often use the word 縁起 ("engi") to rationalize the many wonders and mysteries of life. In English, it would be translated into omen, although I personally think this translation does not fully express the rich definition that the word originally encompasses. In this blog post, I will give some examples of the way the notion of "engi" can be seen in our culture.

When you pay a visit to a shrine or a temple in Japan, you will most likely see a line of people waiting to get in front the alter in order to honor the deity (well, let's be honest, most of the time they are there to make a wish). If you have been to one before, you are probably familiar of the offertory box, or お賽銭箱 ("osaisen-bako") that is located in front of the alter. The question is, how much are you suppose to offer the deity without feeling too stingy or overly generous? 100yen? 500 yen? Or perhaps, a 1000 yen bill?


Surprisingly enough, the answer is quite modest: 5 yen. In Japanese, 5 yen is pronounced "go-en", synonymous to the word "御縁 ("go-en"), which is an honorific way of saying 縁 ("en"). It is believed that there would be good omen if we throw in a 5 yen coin in the offertory box. So next time you go to a temple or a shrine, don't feel that you have to offer a fortune in order to be respectful. As with any kind of offering, it is the thought that always counts (needless to say, generosity is always welcome).

Speaking of gifts, my mother recently gave me a wallet that she had been using for a while. When I opened it, there was a 5 yen inside - another example of a way we wish people good luck. 皆さんにご縁がありますように!May there be an "en" to everybody.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a great post and a great way to start off your blog! I am sure all of us will enjoy your emic perspectives and I look forward to your future posts. It is no coincidence that you are taking my class...

    From my understanding, the term innen is usually associated with perhaps negative aspects whereas goen is used for positive ones. But some Japanese philosophies, Tenrikyo for instance, use the term innen as you do here. I would like to read more about your thoughts on this subject. Really interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pleasantly surprised by the subtle detail of your post. You've peeled back some of the layers of Japanese culture, and done a wonderful job of showing subtle interconnections between different aspects of Japanese life. I'm keenly interested in your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To: visual gonthros
    Thank you for your comment! I thrilled to be able to share my perspective through this blog.

    To: R.A Stern
    It was very nice of you to comment. I am always fascinated by the idea of "en" - I feel it is at the basis of everything I do. Your commenting on my blog post is just another way that shows that such force is working in my life. Thank you for following your "en" and visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete