Tuesday, December 14, 2010

まだ見ぬ日本の姿 Changing Impressions of Japan

My impression of Japan has definitely changed from that of the beginning of the semester. Ever since I started taking this course, I become more aware of the subtle details of the everyday things. The ideas that I used to think were normal - for example, how Japanese people are extremely loyal to their assigned work, even if it seem like an unimportant job - now seems a lot more special, since I know it is particular to this country's culture. Had it not been pointed out by the international students in my class, I would have never taken the time to consider the concept of 我慢 ("gaman", to endure) or 一生懸命 ("isshou-kenmei", to do one's best).


When I started this Visual Anthropology course, I did not think that there would be so many things that I could learn from through various kinds of medium. Having to look at Japan from an outsider's view certainly gave me a fresh perspective, and prompted me to question things about my own culture that had never before caught my attention -- Japan, in my mind now, seems so much more interesting and vibrant, and I am pleased to know that there are still many more discoveries to be made (and thus many more pictures to be taken) here.



No comments:

Post a Comment